Office Hours - Spring 2012 M 1:30-2:30
Robert Silberman teaches courses in film history, the history of photography and modern and contemporary art history. He writes regularly for The Burlington Magazine, American Craft and other publications. He was the guest curator for World Views: Maps and Art, an exhibition that ran from September 1999 to January 2000 at the Weisman Art Museum. He and Vicki Goldberg were the Senior Consultants for American Photography: A Century of Images, a 3-part series for KTCA/PBS which was broadcast nationally in Fall 1999. They also wrote the companion volume published by Chronicle Books. Professor Silberman's collaboration with photographer Wayne Gudmundson on the Garrison Diversion Project in North Dakota resulted in a 2002 touring exhibition and book, both titled The Promise of Water. He served as guest curator and catalogue author for two exhibitions at Northern Clay Center in Minneapolis: From the Garden: Forms, Images and Ideas, in 2004, and Architecture and Ceramics: Material, Structure, Vision in 2008.
- film studies
- history of photography
- contemporary art
- Domesticity and Beyond: Irve Dell, Christie Hawkins and the Place of Craft. Silberman, Robert, Dec.1998/Jan. 1999.
- American Photography: A Century of Images. Silberman, Robert, Vicki Goldberg, Chronicle Books.
- World Views: Maps and Art (exhibition catalogue). Silberman, Robert, Weisman Art Museum, University of Minnesota Press.
- The Gateway. Silberman, Robert, Judith Martin, Jerome Foundation/Minnesota Center for Book Arts.
- Morgan Park: Continuity and Change in a Company Town. Silberman, Robert, Anedith Nash, Tweed Museum of Art, St. Louis County Historical Society.
- The Promise of Water. Silberman, Robert, Wayne Gudmundson, Institute for Regional Studies, NDSU, Author.
- Board Member: Film Society of Minneapolis-St. Paul
- David and Reva Logan Competition, First Place Award
- Vanessa Lynn Prize Essay, 1996
- ArtH 1921 - Introduction to Film Study
- Art H 3921 - Art of the Film
- ArtH 3/5940 - Film Noir
- ArtH 3/5940 - The Cinema of Alfred Hitchcock
- ArtH 3930 - Contemporary American Cinema
- ArtH 5925 - The History of Photography