Make a Gift
The discipline of art history explores visual culture in a critical, contextual, and analytical way. As practiced at the University of Minnesota, it is a truly trans-cultural, interdisciplinary, and comparative enterprise. It explores visual culture from around the world-unearthing its past and connecting it to the present, and, simultaneously, exploring its present and connecting it to the past. The central mission of the Department of Art History is to teach visual literacy. We empower our students to critically evaluate and interpret what they see. In an ever more complex visual culture, art history (and art historical research) is central to educating our students and a cornerstone of knowledge.
Your tax-deductible contribution provides our students with encouragement and vital financial support. It gives our faculty resources for enlarging knowledge and understanding and enhances the department's already distinguished reputation.
What Your Gift Can Do
Your generous support for the Department of Art History is more critical than ever. It helps us attract and retain the very best scholars and students.
Your contribution allows us to ensure a distinguished faculty, excellence and competitiveness of our graduate program, and a diverse and engaged undergraduate student body. Although we are attracting better students than even before, too many outstanding students choose other institutions. The deciding factor is often finances. Merit and need-based scholarships are essential to our success in recruiting these talented students.
To remain competitive, we need your support for graduate and undergraduate student support:
- Robert D. Jacobsen Fellowship in Art History [#8181]:
- In recognition of Bob Jacobsen's exemplary career as an accomplished scholar and distinguished curator at the Minneapolis Institute of Art, this fund has been created by friends and colleagues, to recruit and retain the most talented graduate students.
- Art History PhD Student Support Fund [#2340]:
- This fund will help attract and retain the most promising graduate students. It will defray the costs of tuition and other school costs, allowing them to concentrate on their studies and take advantage of the programs that the department offers.
- Student Research and Travel Fund [#7273]:
- Because graduate and undergraduate students must often travel to see art in context, and study the documentation for it, the department hopes to defray some of these costs to help them complete their degrees.
Sustaining the excellence of the Department of Art History is critical to the University, our local community and the world. Your gift can help support the next generation of leaders and thinkers.
Make a gift to the Department of Art History online through the University of Minnesota Foundation